Profile of the government
The City of Rochelle, founded in 1853, located 80 miles west of Chicago, with quick access to two
major highways and serves a population of 9,574. The City of Rochelle operates on a calendar fiscal year with an annual budget of approximately 80 million for 2017 and 2 TIF districts.
The City of Rochelle operates under the Council Manager form of government that was approved
by public referendum in 1994. The City operates under the City Manager Statutes of the State of
Illinois which states that “The City Manager shall be the Chief Administrative Officer of the City
and shall be responsible to the City Council for the proper administration of all affairs of the City.”
Working closely with the City Council, city staff, community organizations, the business
community and citizens, the City Manager’s office ensures that quality services and programs are available to meet the needs of the City of Rochelle.
The City of Rochelle provides a full range of services with departments including Police Department with 911 dispatch; Fire Department with ambulance service; Street Department: construction and maintenance of streets and other infrastructure, traffic control, on- and off-street parking, snow and leaf removal, and cemetery maintenance; City Engineer; Community Development: building inspections, licenses and permits; Water and Water Reclamation Department and landfill property; Electric Department: transmission, distribution and generation; Advanced Communication Services with Tech Center offering internet fiber; Customer Service and Economic Development with City owned railroad and municipal airport.
The City of Rochelle is located 80 miles outside the City of the Chicago and boasts a rich transportation history; two Class 1 Railroads, the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the Union Pacific
Global III Intermodal, Interstates I-39 and I-88 and a municipal airport.
In the past ten years, over $1.5B of capital investment has been made in Rochelle; $60M in public
infrastructure advancements, 4.5M sq. ft. of industrial space added, and well over 2,200 jobs have
been created. Within the Electric Department an infrastructure upgrade is in progress.
The April 2016 unemployment rate for Rochelle was 6.3%.
• A strong understanding of the issues facing governmental entities and vision to propel a municipal utility to its apex through comprehensive strategic planning (short, mid, and long-range)
• Demonstrated leadership/management skills and integrity.
• Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, or public administration. A Master’s degree is preferred.
• The Candidate must possess a minimum of 10 years of executive level management experience.
• Must be able to build and maintain relationships with business/industrial/civic entities.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to relate effectively to the Mayor, Council members, employees, customers and citizens.
• Preferred: work experience in governmental relations; extensive 10+ years high level experience in management, finance, contract negotiations; and entrepreneurial work history.
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council.
Starting salary range: $120,000 - $150,000 DOQ.
Excellent benefit package.