Man writing on paper

Business Registration

If I have a State Contractor’s License or registration, will I still need a Business Registration Certificate?

Yes, under this program, each person conducting commercial activity within the City of Rochelle must obtain an annual "Business Registration Certificate." In addition, any subcontractors that you utilize must also obtain a "Business Registration Certificate" before permits or plan review is issued.

Do I need a D.B.A. or fictitious business name?

If your business name is anything other than your surname or the name of your corporation you may need to file a fictitious business name.

Do I still need a Vendor’s Permit or a seller’s Permit?

You might. A Vendor's/Use Permit can be acquired at the City Clerks office. For more information call the Building Division at 815-561-2061.

Will the city notify me when it is time to renew my Business Registration Certificate?

Yes. However, it is your responsibility to renew the registration on time even if the courtesy reminder notice is not received. If you do not receive a notice two weeks prior to the expiration date, contact the Building Division at 561-2061.

What if I want to sell or close my business?

Business Registration Certificates are not transferable and are not automatically canceled. We need to hear from you. Please be prepared to provide the closing or sold date and the name of the new owner, if applicable.

Contact at the Building Division at 815-562-8717.

What if I want to move the business?

Always check with the cities Community Development Department to verify that the new location is zoned properly for the intended use and whether a vendor/use permit or other type of approval is required. A change of business location will require a new application and fee if applicable.

What if I have more than one business or more than one location?

If you own more than one business, a separate registration is required for each type and location of business.

Do I need a Business Registration Certificate if I work out of my home?

Yes. Businesses operating from the home require a Business Registration Certificate and must comply with the cities Zoning and Home Occupation Ordinance.  See Chapter 110 in the City Code.  Some types of home-based businesses and the manner in which they operate are regulated by the cities Zoning and Home Occupation Ordinance. For more information call the cities Community Development Department at 815-562-8717.

Should I post my Business Registration Certificate?

Yes. The Business Registration Certificate must be displayed in a conspicuous location on the premises of any business open to the public. Businesses that are mobile must carry a copy of the Business Registration Certificate at all times while carrying on business activities within the Town.

How long will it take for me to get my Business Registration Certificate?

Once we receive your business registration application, the process can take anywhere from 10 to 15 business days.

How much does it cost?

There is no annual registration fee.

How can I apply for a Business Registration Certificate?

By mail or in person. You may print the registration form from the City's website.

What types of companies have to apply for a Business Registration Certificate?

All companies no matter what type of business you are operating: profit and non-profit, commercial, retail, home-based, self-employed, independent contractor, industrial, with or without employees, sales, repairs and selling or preparing food have to be registered with the City of Rochelle.

What is the Business Registration Program?

Under this program, each person conducting commercial or industrial activity within the town of Rochelle Illinois must obtain a "Business Registration Certificate".