Non-highway vehicles such as golf carts and utility vehicles are allowed to operate on City streets once a permit is obtained. Below are the rules & regulations that apply to non-highway vehicle operation in Rochelle:
Non-highway Vehicles Defined: A motor-driven vehicle not specifically designed to be used on a public street, highway or thoroughfare, including golf carts and utility vehicles as defined in Sec. 11-1426.1 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/11- 1426.1), possessing the following characteristics:
- Non-highway vehicles must reach a minimum speed of 15mph and maximum speed of 25mph
- Non-highway vehicles, for the purpose of this ordinance, are those with four wheels.
- Non-highway vehicles, for this purpose, do not include vehicles operated by a driver straddling the apparatus
Operation on City Streets:
The City allows the operation of permitted non-highway vehicles on streets within the corporate limits of the City. No person shall operate a non-highway vehicle on the streets without a permit from the City of Rochelle.
- Allowable hours of operation are Sunday-Thursday 6:00am to 11:00pm and Friday-Saturday 6:00am to Midnight.
- The permit applicant and non-highway vehicle driver must have proof of valid Illinois Driver’s License and proof of liability insurance
Areas of Operation:
Non-highway vehicles are permitted on roadways within the City of Rochelle’s corporate limits with the following exceptions:
Route 251, Route 38, I-88, I-39, Caron Road, Veteran’s Parkway, 20th Street, Flagg Road, Steward Road, Dement Road
It is not prohibited to cross an excluded street with a speed limited posted of 35mph or less. Crossing must take place at a designated intersection, at a 90- degree angle, providing no obstruction exists. The non-highway vehicle must come to a complete stop and yield to all oncoming traffic before crossing such roadway. Non-highway vehicles are not permitted on private property or Park District property such as the Bike Path. Non-highway vehicles are not permitted on sidewalks.
All non-highway vehicles operated on a street within the corporate limits of the City of Rochelle must, at a minimum, have the following safety equipment:
- Steering apparatus
- Four tires
- A rear-view mirror
- Red reflectorized warning devices in the front and rear
- Slow moving emblem on the rear
- A tail-lamp that emits a red light visible from at least 100’ from the rear
- Brake lights
- Turn Signals
- Head light that emits a white light visible 500’ from the front
- Seat belt for each occupant
- Maximum occupancy is limited to the number of seats in the vehicle.
All non-highway vehicles must be registered with the City of Rochelle Police Department on an annual basis. Registered vehicles must display a current permit sticker at all times.
- First-time applicant $75.00.
- Renewal permits $50.00
- Senior Citizen’s application or renewal $35.00
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of an ordinance violation and shall be fined $100. A second offense within a twenty-four-month period shall result in a fine of $250. A third offense within a twenty-four-month period shall result in a fine of $500 fine and the revocation of the permit for one year. Any person who owns, operates or is in physical control of a non-highway vehicle is subject to all provisions of the Illinois Vehicle Code including sections pertaining to driving under the influence and open alcohol containers. To the extent that any violation of this Article also constitutes a violation of a criminal statute of the State of Illinois or the Illinois Vehicle Code, 625 ILCS 5/1 et seq., then the violator shall also be subject to prosecution.