City of Rochelle Council Chambers
420 N 6th Street, Rochelle IL 61068
I. CALL TO ORDER:
• Pledge to the Flag
II. ROLL CALL:
III. PROCLAMATIONS, COMMENDATIONS, ETC:
IV. REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS:
• Council Members
V. PUBLIC COMMENTARY:
VI. BUSINESS ITEMS:
1) CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS BY OMNIBUS VOTE with Recommendations:
a) Approve Minutes of City Council Meeting – pdf November 10, 2014 (113 KB)
c) Approve Payroll – pdf 102714-110914 (141 KB)
d) Accept and Place on File Municipal Compliance Report – pdf Police Pension Fund (68 KB)
e) Accept and Place on File Municipal Compliance Report – pdf Fire Pension Fund (103 KB)
2) First Addendum to Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) Master Agreement
3) Phase 2 Engineering Services for the Caron Road Substation Expansion
VII. DISCUSSION ITEMS:
1) Tax Levy 2014-15
VIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Agenda Item #2 First Addendum to Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) Agreement
Consider approving an ordinance authorizing an addendum to the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System Agreement
History and Fact:
The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) has been in existence since the late 1960s. The plan provides a system of "one-stop shopping" for Illinois Emergency Management Agency officials to activate and mobilize local municipal fire, Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and special operations assets through MABAS. The City of Rochelle has been a member of MABAS since 2001.
The MABAS board has recently made some changes to gain compliance with FEMA's recover policy contained in "Mutual Aid Agreements for Public Assistance and Fire Management Assistance". The intent of the contract addendum is to establish a guideline for recouping and making whole communities who provide MABAS mutual aid at events which might be prolonged in nature (8 hours or more), and provide mechanisms to donate the cost of services provided.
The addendum includes the following provisions:
• Equipment, personnel and services provided for the first eight consecutive hours shall be at no charge.
• Day to day mutual aid should remain free of charge.
• The amount of charges assessed may not exceed the amount necessary to make the aiding unit whole.
• The providing agency must assess no more than "usual and customary" charges for personnel costs.
• The fee structure for apparatus and equipment shall be based on FEMA or OSFM rate schedules.
• The providing agency must invoice the requesting agency within thirty days after the completion of the emergency or the aid will be considered to be a donation of service.
Approve an Ordinance Authorizing the Execution of a First Addendum to MABAS Master Agreement
Agenda Item #3 Phase 2 Engineering Services for the Caron Road Substation Expansion
Consider an engineering services agreement with Sargent & Lundy related to the Caron Road Substation Expansion Project.
History and Fact:
The Caron Road substation was originally constructed in 1970 and expanded in 1985. In 2005, the substation was once again expanded to double the size in order to meet the needs of the ethanol plant.
Most of the industrial growth over the past several years has occurred in the southeast quadrant of the City. As a result, the Caron Road substation is now down to one available feeder/circuit. Future development anticipated in the south and west corridors will require more capacity than what is available through this single feeder.
Sargent & Lundy has submitted a proposal to provide engineering and detail design services for the expansion of the Caron Road substation. The scope of work includes:
• Design the expansion of the 138-13.8kV facilities.
• Complete the design drawings and finalize the material specifications for the transformer and metal switchgear.
• Develop specifications for procurement of equipment/materials and assist RMU with the bid process.
• Develop specifications for procurement of construction labor and assist RMU with the bid process.
• Provide coordination of design with ComEd.
• Provide relay settings for the new protective relaying schemes.
Superintendent of Electric Operations Joe Orlikowski recommends proceeding with the Phase 2 scope of work as outlined at a cost of $240,000. The 2014-2015 Electric Operations Capital Budget includes $1,000,000 for the Caron Road Substation Expansion.
Authorize the City Manager to sign an agreement with Sargent & Lundy for engineering services related to the Caron Road Substation Expansion Project.
Discussion Item #1 Tax Levy 2014-15
Annually the Mayor and City Council are required to adopt a Tax Levy Ordinance and file it with the County Clerk on or before the last Tuesday in December. The Ordinance Levying Taxes for the City of Rochelle 2014-15 will be included as a business item on the December 8th City Council Meeting. Finance Manager Chris Frye will provide information on the various components and discuss options related to the levy. In addition, Rochelle Police and Fire Pension Fund representatives will discuss their respective recommendations and respond to questions from the Mayor and Council.